The rose class Hybrid Musk was established by the Reverend Joseph Pemberton, a clergyman from Essex, England who early in the 20th century crossed two closely related roses, 'Aglaia' and 'Tier', both of Rosa moschata (Musk Rose) and Rosa multiflora parentage, with Tea Roses, Hybrid Teas and Hybrid Perpetuals to create a new and distinct line of roses that bore clusters of flowers in abundance over a long period. These roses were first called Pemberton Roses and later Hybrid Musks.
Although there is debate regarding their affinities to the Musk Rose( R. moschata), and therefore their name as "Hybrid Musk", the plants as a group exhibit similar features; they are all generally large graceful shrubs with an arching habit, they are well clad with attractive large leathery foliage, and they bloom heavy clusters of small to medium-sized flowers that for most are highly fragrant.
In addition the Hybrid Musks are noted for their disease resistance and tolerance of shade.
After Pemberton's death in 1926 his work was carried on by his gardeners and students J.A. and Anne Bentall when they opened their own nursery and created many well known and cherished roses such as 'Ballerina',
'The Fairy' and 'Buff Beauty'.