Rosa banksiae var. banksiae[R. b. 'Alba Plena'] White Banksia (1807)
Rosa banksiae var. banksiae planted at San Marcos Growers garden.
The first form of R. banksiae to be described was this double, white flowered
form that blooms in early to mid spring and is strongly scented of violets. It is thornless and can grow to enormous proportion, easily covering a small
building or home. It was introduced to Kew Botanic Garden from Canton in 1807 by William Kerr and was named after the wife of the Sir Joseph Banks, then director of Kew. That this plant can grow to large proportions is evidenced by what is thought to be the largest plant of Rosa banksiae var. banksiae in the world. This plant can be found in the old mining town of Tombstone, Arizona where it covers 8,000 square feet of a courtyard. Hardy to zones 4-10.