The Dunlap Cactus Garden at Lotusland is the newest garden section added to this wonderful botanic garden. It was created to exhibit a large collection of cacti that was donated to Lotusland. The collection of columnar cacti was begun in 1929 by Merritt Dunlap, who grew many of the plants from seed obtained either from collectors or known nursery sources. In 2001 Lotusland staff relocated the collection of over 500 plants from the Fallbrook, California home of Mr. Dunlap. Many of the plants required the use of a backhoe to dig and required extensive boxing and support structures for transport.
The new garden home for these plants was designed by renowned Santa Barbara Landscape Designer Eric Nagelmann and construction began on 3/4 acre site in early 2003. For more information on this garden visit the Lotusland webpage on the Dunlap Collection
See more of the Dunlap Collection.